Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh-502324
ICRISAT seeks applications for a Scientist-Agroforestry and Tree domestication, to be based at ICRISAT, Niamey, Niger.
Name of Job: Scientist - Agroforestry and Tree domestication
ICRISAT’s Regional hub for West and Central Africa (WCA) is located in Bamako, Mali. Scientists are also located in the research centers in Niamey, Niger, and Kano, Nigeria. ICRISAT's work covers approximately 20 countries in the Semi-Arid Tropics (SAT) of WCA. ICRISAT is currently endowed with core competencies in the areas of agronomy, soil science, pearl millet, sorghum, and groundnut breeding, socio-economy, and GIS. This is a joint appointment to work on a collaborative research between ICRISAT and ICRAF (International Center for Research on Agro Forestry), with Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Position: The Scientist will be a member of the multi-disciplinary research team of ICRISAT, to develop crop-tree-livestock based systems in collaboration with ILRI-ICRAF. The responsibilities include:
* To develop crop-tree-livestock based systems in collaboration with ILRI-ICRAF.
* Conduct research on priority agroforestry species for both ICRISAT and ICRAF.
* Develop efficient tree seed production/ dissemination systems in the Sahel.
* Conduct research on agronomy and management of important agroforestry species in the Sahel.
* Organize regional training courses on tree propagation, nursery techniques and tree seed collections and management for research and development partners with focus on multipurpose tree species in the Sahel.
* Evaluate and maintain tree germplasm collection, including indigenous tree species.
* Lead the research on bio-energy in the Sahel with focus on Jatropha curcas.
* Contribute to the on-going research on firewood, wood products and fodder tree species in the Sahel.
* Contribute to fund raising through development of research projects in collaboration with other ICRAF and ICRISAT scientists on priority tree species and agricultural production systems in the Sahel including agro-forestry parklands.
The Required Profile:
* Practical experience in systems related research
* Participatory on-farm, and station research
* Understanding Crop, tree, livestock system in the region
* Proven ability to think strategically about research for development;
* Innovative, energetic individual with demonstrated contributions to the field of agriculture and committed to seeing measurable impacts at farm level;
* Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural research teams;
Last Date: 10 June 2011