Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh-502324
Principal Scientist-Crop Diversification / Agronomy
ICRISAT seeks applications for a Principal Scientist-Agronomy, to be based at ICRISAT, Niamey, Niger.
ICRISAT’s Regional hub for West and Central Africa (WCA) is located in Niamey, Niger. Scientists are also located in the research centers in Bamako, Mali, and Kano, Nigeria. ICRISAT's work covers approximately 20 countries in the Semi-Arid Tropics (SAT) of WCA. ICRISAT is currently endowed with core competencies in the areas of agronomy, soil science, pearl millet, sorghum, and groundnut breeding, socio-economy, and GIS
* Practical experience in systems related research including experience in crop and systems modeling.
* Participatory on-farm, and station experimentation focusing on options for intensification of cropping systems based on the dryland cereals - sorghum and millet.
* Integrated weed, soil, water and fertility management, working from field to landscape scales.
* Develop and improve concerted action for integrated genetic and natural resource management strategies for cereals farming systems with collaborators and farmers in the region.
* Lead crop diversification activities.
* demonstrated contributions to the field of agriculture and committed to seeing measurable impacts at farm level;
* Play an active role in resource mobilization. Attract funding for new projects and create new collaboration for future research.
* PhD in the area of natural resource management, water, soils or related agriculture discipline
* 5-8 years of experience
* Research experience in an international organization is highly desirable.
* A record of achievement with academic publications, development and management of research grants, and capacity building initiatives are essential.
* Evidence of analytical capability, and experience in spatial analysis and systems modeling are a must.
* Experience in managing multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural projects is helpful.
* Fluency in spoken and written English is essential, and knowledge of French will be highly desirable.
* Demonstration of a good record of publishing in internationally refereed journals.
* Good leadership skills including good interpersonal, communication and project management skills.
* Proven ability to think strategically about research for development;
The Reward: This is an internationally recruited staff position, and competitive salary and benefits packages payable in US dollars will be provided. The benefits include housing, international health insurance, annual home leave passage, pension, children education and attractive relocation benefits.
Last Date: 28 February 2011