Director-General of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) The Preparatory Commission for International Renewable Energy Agnecy invites applicants for the position of the Director General of IRENA. The Director-General is the head and chief administrative officer of the International Renewable Energy Agency, and is responsible to the Assembly and the Council for the performance of his/her functions. The Director-General plays a crucial role in promoting the widespread and increased adoption, and the sustainable use, of all forms of renewable energy in the international community.
Name of Post: Director General of IRENA
Functions The position calls for a strategic thinker to lead and manage all operations of the Agency. The main functions and responsibilities of the Director-General are as follows:
- To ensure the effective execution of the Agency’s responsibilities, as defined in its Statute and in legislative decisions made by the Assembly and the Council;
- To formulate a vision for the Agency, taking into account a complex political, social, and economic environment;
- To develop and implement an effective strategy, including operational policies and procedures, towards realizing the Agency’s goals and objectives;
- To build and maintain the Agency’s institutional and intellectual capacity as a center of excellence for renewable energy technology;
- To stimulate dialogue and build partnerships in the field of renewable energy, and engage a wide range of stakeholders and partners; and
- To ensure the respect of the exclusively international character of the Secretariat in the performance of its responsibilities.
- At least 15 years of professional experience.
- Proven leadership qualities and senior-level administrative experience in a ministry, an international organization, corporation, non-governmental organization, or other international setting.
- Strong background in, and knowledge of renewable energy issues in the context of sustainable development and the climate change.
- An extensive network of relevant stakeholders, including member states.
- Considerable and significant experience in cooperation and negotiation in a variety of settings, including experience in handling contentious issues, in an international setting.
- Proven management experience, including in dealing with budgetary and human resources matters, and demonstrated ability to successfully conduct change management in a complex setting.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant field.
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential. Knowledge of Arabic, French, Spanish, or other languages would be an advantage.
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates may submit their application by sending a tabular CV, letter of motivation, and three letters of reference via email to DGapplication@irena.org, or by mail to: Preparatory Commission for International Renewable Energy Agency Attention: Chair of Director General Selection Committee P.O. Box 236 Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
The deadline for submission of applications is 24 December 2010